Meet Our Team
Ana Bugan is a litigator who regularly represents clients in internal and government investigations and compliance related matters. She represents both individuals and companies in criminal and civil matters. Clients turn to Ms. Bugan to conduct sensitive, high-stakes internal investigations relating to suspected corporate wrongdoing and possible violations of criminal or civil fraud statutes. She has extensive experience with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and the False Claims Act and has successfully defended clients in qui tam suits. Ms. Bugan is fluent in Spanish and French and has conducted several investigations in Spanish for multinational clients with operations in Latin America. Prior to joining Sweeney, Scharkey & Blanchard, Ms. Bugan was a partner at Jenner & Block LLP in its Litigation and Investigations, Compliance, and Defense practice groups.
- Internal FCPA investigation for a multinational company regarding allegations of improper payments to Venezuelan customs officials
- Served as one of team leaders of the compliance team for the Monitor of Credit Suisse AG, following its $2.6 billion settlement with U.S. authorities
- Internal investigation regarding whistleblower’s allegations to SEC that asset management company misrepresented private equity valuations
- FCPA compliance reviews in Venezuela and Argentina for a Fortune 100 company
- Cross-border internal investigation into conduct of CEO of Colombian company regarding allegations of corporate corruption
- Internal investigations stemming from whistleblower allegations of misconduct by organizations’ senior leadership
- Internal FCPA investigation for a multinational company regarding customs related activities in India
- Defending a defense contractor in a government-led False Claims Act investigation involving allegations of overbilling
- Defending a multinational medical supplies company in a False Claims Act lawsuit alleging the company submitted false claims to the government and violated the Anti-Kickback Act
- Defending a pharmaceutical company in a False Claims Act lawsuit alleging off-label marketing
- Defending a real estate services firm in a lawsuit alleging negligence and fraudulent inducement in connection with a sale/leaseback transaction
- Defending the estate of a real estate developer in an action to re-open a 15 year-old judgment on the basis that an underlying settlement agreement was fraudulently induced
Ms. Bugan received her A.B., magna cum laude, from Kenyon College. She was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and graduated with High Honors in Political Science. Ms. Bugan earned an A.M. in Political Science from the University of Chicago, where she was the recipient of the Olin and Bradley Fellowships and was awarded the Joseph Cropsey Prize for the Outstanding Master’s Thesis in Classical Political Philosophy. Ms. Bugan earned her J.D. from Harvard Law School, where she served as an executive editor of the Harvard Law Review.
Harvard Law School, J.D.; Executive Editor, Harvard Law Review
University of Chicago, A.M.
Kenyon College, A.B.; magna cum laude; High Honors in Political Science
Admitted to Practice
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Supreme Court of the United States
Hon. Matthew F. Kennelly, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois 2002 – 2003